When subdivision modeling comes to ZW3D?

The only reason that i don’t use zw3d in some cases is the lack of Subdivision modeling, not because i need it for that specific job , but it actually walk on my brain , it is present in almost any software , i know it needs a lot of programming , but i want to know at least when ?

Is it used in engineering?
I do not hear of people using it.
Cheers -Paul

1 Like

Solid work’s Xshape
mcneel’s Rhinoceros Subd (or T-splines for older versions )
Dassault catia imagine and shape
siemens nx realize shape
Altair inspire studio (Totally subdivision based nurbs software)
here are a few examples of what i know so far , and yes it actually uses in industry, while a true subdivision model can be a true nurbs model , It is amazing when it comes to cnc machining while all fillets have a nice flow , also in very situations when we are dealing with organic shapes subd is more powerful .

HI hamed.desighn:
Yes, zw3d has no Free Form Features

1 Like

Just because it is in software doesn’t actually answer the question ‘Is it used?’
Sub D is more concept focused as far as I can tell.
To be honest in designing for industry I have never felt disadvantaged by not having it or felt the need to have it. And I have done a lot of organic stuff where history is king.
Cheers - Paul

2 Likes

I guess any industrial model needs a concept , and yes i am a concept modeller too , but the fact that zw3d can’t just do that is a little bit disturbing , there are softwares can do subdivision modeling , if zw3d was able to take those meshes and convert them to surfaces ( as other softwares including nx and rhino and catia … can do) this was half solved , also consider that in automotive and airplane design industries subdivision modeling is actually used (catia and alias) , I don’t want to argue about what is king but this should be the key to the modern modeling world for zw3d , and more people want to have it also .
Screenshot (10)
Screenshot (11)

1 Like

Blender can model with sub-d. It’s open source, so zw3d development team can use this to create an open-source add-in.

1 Like