Recentreing an import

Hi Everyone.

I know this should be easy, but can’t remember how to do it or find a topic… using the correct ZW3D words…

I would like to import an Inventor model into my new ZW3D assembly. When I use the quick import it does a wonderful job of getting the model in, but. It just seems to plonk it on the page randomly.

How do I move the imported assembly so the planes are lined up with the planes on the model space. That is when I use CTRL + down arrow, it shows me the front veiw of the model I want, not one it thinks I want.

Also with the rotataion. It again seems to put in a arbtrary centre and spins the model way off the page when you rotate the model using the mouse.

There was a feature sort of like “Look at Face” in inventor that allowed me to say which face I wanted to look directrly at.

Ideas or suggestions on where to look in the help files, or what the term the program uses would be helpful.

Thanks
Ken.

HI Russty:

也许你须得是这个?
Maybe you need this?

Hi Mr Zhang
Thank you for your quick response.
That works well when I am trying to get the look right now.
But what I was hoping for was the ability to Now I have the auto align chosen and it is correct, I would like to be able to put the centre of the model in the same place, so when I rotate the model it rotates around that view and not the view where the rotation centre is somewhere a long way away.

The image below is the model after auto align it. I would like to be able to rotate it around the point at the end of the arrow.
At present the centre of the rotation is way off to the left of the arrow tip and every time you rotate the image it dissappears off the screen due to the distance between the model and the centre point.

Hi Mr Zhang
I have reduced the screen down and you can see at present the centre of rotation is at number 1.
I would like to be able to move it to number 2.

I have tried clear rotation centre and set rotation centre without any change in the rotation point.
I have also not found anything in the help file for that particular command

Hi Mr Zhang

By accident I found the “Set Axis” command under the View menu will give me what I want.
I also noted the discussion from ZWSOFT suggest the F3 button will set this. But is not shown on the drop down menu.

Thanks

Hi Ken,
I would say the Inventor model was not on global center to start with.
Use the Inquire tools to determine the xyz offsets of the object to the model origin.
Then use the move tools to relocate the shape to exactly where you want it.
Then you can place in the assembly as desired.
Cheer’s Paul

Hi Paul
Thanks for that.
The inventor model was set at the required offset from the Model origin of the body, so I could just apply constraints directly to the XYZ coordinates and it would fit onto the body curved shape.
I will have a look at moving the model later today.

IMO, offset modelling is a crock. All objects should be modelled about their own logical origin and Assy alignment used to place them where required.
Re use of objects becomes a pain if offset origins exist.
I would say to any one who models that wsy to getblessons and learn how to do it correctly.
Cheers

HI Russty:

If you want to change the rotation anchor center point, you can set it here,
如果你想修改旋转锚点中心点,你可以在这里设置,

HI Russty:
Maybe you need to learn how to move components or shape to the default coordinate system…
或许你要学会如何移动组件或者造型到默认坐标系。。。

demo1:
A
demo2:
B

Hope to help you!
希望对你有所帮助!

Hi Liangfen
Thank you again. I found that tutorial on the web, and like yours I am either missing a step, or I have it wrong.
When I click on the Move command with the complete binlifter in the window, the Move command for entity does not permit me to select anything, either a single part of window select the complete assembly.
If I select the assembly and then click move it also deselects everything.
I have executed the import all models and am looking at the solid import.
I did accidentally manage to select the whole unit and move it.
Once I had selected all the components,
I right mouse clicked over the name in the manager drop down list and it loaded a dialog with all components listed and then it was pretty much as the video showed on how to centre to new position.
As you can see from the capture the lifter is now centred on the coordinate system.

HI Russty:

Hope to help you!
希望对你有所帮助!

B

1 Like

Hi Liangfen

Bingo! Saw the missed step in that last video. I did not us the assembly tab, Move. All works fine now
Thanks Again.

1 Like

Hi Russty, make sure you use assembly tools for assembly actions and part tools for part actions - across the board.
Ditton assembly reference, MUST use Assy reference tools. Do not use Part reference tools in assy. Looks likes its working but will kill you sometime.

Cheers - Paul