Multi body sheet metal behavior

I’m modeling out an appliance in ZW3D using the multi-body approach in which you model everything in one go with solids, then use the “extract shape” functionality to convert the solids into components in an assembly for the purpose of doing drawings and manufacturing.

I’ve noticed that sheet metal parts are extracted into non-sheet metal components however, and one must “convert to sheet metal” afterwards. Is there a way to make the resulting component a sheet metal one during the extraction process?

@darkstar
You want to make sure that each modeling feature is not related to each other, and then you can select the extraction history mode when you extract it.

This defeats the purpose of the master part design because the resulting derived part is not associative. Updates to the master solid won’t be applied to the part this way.

Why doesn’t ZW3D have the ability to do associative extract on a sheet metal part, and create a sheet metal component within the same operation?

@darkstar
I don’t know what version of ZW3D you’re using, but I recommend this approach for top-down design after 2022.

After my test, sheet metal internal properties he still exists, perhaps the choice of problems, expand normally. Bend parameters also exist

Version 2024 – In associative mode, you cannot use the flatten tool to make the drawing within the part and gain the Flatten views.

To replicate:

1. Make a new part/assembly/etc
  2. Sketch the sheet metal solid body
  3. Extract Shape using associative mode
  4. Double click to open the new part
  5. Try to use Flatten feature to gain flatten view for drawing
  6. Command failed

@darkstar

Yes, this is a BUG. I found it when I gave you an answer for the first time. I have already given the official feedback.

@darkstar

I found that using the software’s release set, it seems that you can inherit the sheet metal properties, yes you can directly click on the new sheet metal parts to flatten

It still doesn’t work for me with external geom copy from a publish set. I’m using one file mode if that makes a difference.

I created a new part in my assembly tree and double clicked to edit, then did the external geom copy from publish set. I still get command failed when attempted to flatten.

Even if it did work like yours, that makes a huge amount of manual work to do when dealing with large assembles.

Any idea when/if this will be fixed? Seems to be a pretty large oversight on something so fundamental to the drawing process.

@darkstar

Obviously, this kind of operation is not in the programmer’s program logic. What platform can this kind of operation be implemented on?

I’m not sure I understand the question. I just want the drawing functionality to work the same in a derived sheet metal part as it does in a standalone sheet metal part.

@zw3d_liangfen Thank you for all your help with this. I appreciate it greatly.