Do you use Sketch Blocks?

Sketch Blocks (aka Blocks) where added in 2017 but it took me a year before I figured it out.
Here is the Video covering them.
Found in Sketch Toll Bar:

So how I use Blocks:
For Logos - I have the logo saved as a Block in my Logo_ART file.
From any file I can choose Insert Bloc and browse to the ART file and select the block. I have several different logos in the same file.
Place the block - (you get to set Insertion point when creating the block.)
Check the options when inserting - do you want it linked? e.g an changes you make will be made to the block itself. Usually I choose No.
Explode the Block an scale move to suit etc.
A Block shows as a subpart in a Sketch - you will become familiar as you use them. It will also be slightly greyed when you open the sketch - all its dimensions and constraints are contained within the closed Block.

Which all means you can constraint Blocks to geometry or other blocks as if they where a model (only on 2D off course) and make kinematic models to test functional relationships.

Once you are satisfied with the Block dimensions etc. you can go ahead and make the part in a different file by inserting the Block and using as a normal Sketch.
In this case, if you keep the association, any changes you make to the Block will occur in both the function dynamic sketch and the part.
So there are lots of uses - what do you do with Blocks?
Cheers
Paul

Once the sketch block has been saved in a new part, where do I find the path back to the originating block Filename?

Cheers
Wayne

Hi Wayne,
A sketch Block is stored in the part it was created in. You can insert from that part to anywhere and choose unlink if you do not need a synchronized block.
You can copy and paste the sketch and recreate the block in block file if you want to
You can also use Ready Sketch. This is effectively a block library you add blocks to via process.
Use Save All before exiting… to be double sure. Do this when editing bundles, adding new materials etc.

(Images courtesy if William Li ZW3D)

Cheers
Paul

Thanks Paul.
A sketch Block is stored in the part it was created in”…Yes, but 3 months down the track, I’ve forgotten which part it was created in.
How can I find a path to the part it was created in?
Cheers
W

Hi Wayne,
it’s software not a psychologist!
If you cannot remember the part you might not remember the block name.
Is the part likely to be in an Assembly.
If so, you might activate the part from there IF you recognize it.
Other than that I ma out of ideas on this one!
Cheers

I think Z3 is a better psychologist, It knows where the associated block is, and updates when it’s altered, but it doesn’t show me where it is. Doctor Patient confidentiality?

This is sounding like a feature request.
BlockPathRequest

Cheers
W

So what you are saying is that Block Manager should allow Block to be duplicated to a master library or we should be able to search for Blocks in files or in a folder?

Cheers

No, I don’t think Block Manager should allow duplicates, duplicate anything is a bad idea. Reference, yes.

Quote “we should be able to search for Blocks in files or in a folder?”
This might be a nice to have but not what I’m suggesting.

I’m suggesting display the referenced File Name and path to the originating Block somewhere, the feature tree and Entity info seemed like a logical place.
A nice addition to this would be the ability to reattach the Block reference path if the original file was re named or moved.

Cheers
W